Monday, December 12, 2005

Death Penalty


With all this Tookie stuff goin on....
For the record, I'm anti death penalty - for a number of reasons. I could write 10 pages on why I'm against it, but I'll sum it up with a few bullet points.
  • It's irreversable punishment. DNA evidence can get the wrongly convicted out of jail, but it can't bring them back to life. Killing someone "on accident" is inexcusable.
  • Violence causes violence. I don't think you teach society it is wrong to kill by killing. I wouldn't tell a child it is wrong to punch people, and then prove my point by punching them in the face. It makes no sense to me.
  • It's expensive. I don't have the numbers handy, but I know that the cost of each death penalty case costs several times more than a life in prison. Most of the cost lies in the countless appeals, sick politics, etc.. Texas has tried to cut through some of that nonsense and kill people quickly, but I don't think they are saving themselves any money over life imprisonment.
  • Sitting in misery in a 6 foot concrete cell is better punishment than death. Lock them up and throw away the key. Slide a tray of food under the door a couple of times and that's about it. No trips to the gym, no coffee, no visits by family, nothing. If they are a murderer, there is no chance of redemption in my opinion. I suppose they should be treated humanely enough to retain sanity in the event they were actually wrongly convicted. If you plan on driving an inmate to insanity you might as well just kill him.
Now with Tookie, I find it hilarious that so many people are questioning his innocence? I've read a lot of info about the case, and they had very solid cases on him in both trials. I agree he's guilty, and I don't care that he's written some poor quality books. He should stay in prison for life, and shouldn't be getting all this attention/praise. He is a murderer, and was a notorious thug in Los Angeles who contributed to forming the gang culture that plagues huge areas of Los Angeles today. Once you kill, you are always a killer.

2 Comments:

Blogger searchquant said...

You first point is horribly wrong, IMO. Violence is necessary in some cases, and deterring other murderers from murdering by killing those who have already done so makes perfect sense. I agree that the appeals process is way to long and costly, but IMO that's what needs to be excised, not the death penalty itself.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

strong arguments can me made for or against the death penalty - however i see the most logic in being against it.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home