Thursday, December 22, 2005

New York Times - Times Select


I went to NYTimes.com today to get some news on the transit strike happening right now, and they want me to sign-up for "Times Select" to read the article? I get a 14 day free trial, and then I have to pay? NYTimes.com has been charging for access to most of their site for a while now, and it is an extremely poor business decision in my opinion. They should figure out how to monetize web traffic using advertising, email, etc... - not by charging to access the site. Now that they are charging, I'm sure they are gettin far fewer visitors/page-views and the net $ they are bringing in must be much less then it was and could be. My guess is they will eventually wake-up and make the accessing the site free again. Until they do, I'll be reading the countless other *free* news sites. Times Select, what a joke!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home